Names of Note
Member Accomplishments During the 2013-2014 Season
Email us news about your musical accomplishments!
Competitions, Performances, and Scholarships
Click here for a complete list of competitions and scholarships
American Fine Arts Festival Golden Strings of America: Joyce Liu (AYSO, Co-concertmaster Violin) performed Bruch Violin Concerto No. 1 as a competition winner at Carnegie Hall's Weill Recital Hall on October 12, 2013.
Asian American Music Society International Competition:
- Tristan Baban (AYP, Violin) won Honorable Mention as a bassoonist in the Senior Brass/Woodwinds Division and performed at the Winners Concert at the Kenndy Center on November 25, 2013
- Nadia Jo (AYCO, Co-Principal Cello) won Honorable Mention in the Junior Division
- Na hyun Kyun (AYSE, Violin) won 1st place in the Peewee Division and performed at the Kenndy Center November 25, 2013
From the Top on National Public Radio: Olivia Staton (AYP, Principal Flute) will appear on a national broadcast of From the Top on NPR, the preeminent showcase for America's best young classical musicians, hosted by acclaimed pianist Christopher O'Riley. The episode will air locally on 90.9 FM on December 22, 2013 at 6:00 pm. On the broadcast taped in Wingate, North Carolina on November 23, 2013, Olivia Staton performs "Chant de Linos" by Andre Jolivet.
Grace Newson Cushman Award, The Walden School: Brian Claeys (AYSO, French Horn) attended The Walden School for music this summer in Dublin, New Hampshire, where he was honored to win the Grace Newson Cushman Award for his leadership and musicianship. He created a composition entitled "Cloud 13" which was performed by the Walden Players on August 3 [watch video].
International Concerto Competition 2014: Edward Lee (AYCO, Violin ( Co- Concertmaster)) Performed " Wieniski concerto No.2 in D minor op.22. He will perform in the Winners Recital at Carnegie Hall, New York city in December 2014.
National High School Honors Orchestra: Will Jackson (AYP, Violin) will be performing with this orchestra at the ASTA conference in March 2014 in Louisville, Kentucky.
Tournament of Roses Parade: January 1, 2014 in Pasadena, CA
- Francis Baylock (AYP, Tuba) marched with Westfield High School Marching Band. This is one of the highest honors a high school marching band receive.
- Michael Baylock (AYSO, Doublebass) marched with Westfield High School Marching Band. This is one of the highest honors a high school marching band receive.
Washington Music Teachers Association String Competition: Nadia Jo (AYCO, Co-Principal Cello) won Honorable Mention in Junior Division
County and State Competitions
Senior Regional Orchestra:
Tristan Baban (AYP, Violin)
Katerina Banks (AYCO, Violin 1) Violin 2
Lawry Boyer (AYSO, Cello)
Emily Cheng (AYSO, Violin Co-Concertmaster) Violin 1
Cliff Crawford (AYP, Percussion)
Sam Dugo (AYP, Bass)
Jonathan Grow (AYP, Bass 2nd Chair)
Will Jackson (AYP, Violin) 4th Chair
Josef Jamison (AYP, Cello) 7th Chair
Ethan Lowman (AYP, Co-Principal Oboe) Principal Oboe
Brooke Nelson (AYP, Viola) Assistant Principal Viola
Luke Reilly (AYP, Principal Bass) Co-Principal Bass
Olivia Taylor (AYP, Violin)
Molly Wise (AYP, Viola) Principal Viola 1st Chair
Junior District Orchestra:
Nadia Jo (AYCO, Co-Principal Cello) 5th Chair
- Ken Rudolph (AYSE, Violin) Violin 1, 5th Chair
- Olivia Scheidt (AYCO, Violin 1) Violin 2, Principal
All District Band:
- Casey Crawford (AYCO, Percussion) 7th Chair
- Cliff Crawford (AYP, Percussion) All District Wind Ensemble
All Virginia Band:
All Virginia Chorus:
All Virginia Orchestra:
All Virginia Jazz Ensemble:
Maryland All State Senior Orchestra:
Maryland All State Junior Orchestra:
Names of Note Archives
Page last updated:
April 10, 2014 1:43 PM