Welcome to the AYPO auditions page! We are now accepting applications for the 2016-2017 season.
All of our orchestras offer opportunities to perform demanding repertoire, audition for solos, and play in an ensemble with other superb musicians. If you are new to AYPO, please be sure to visit our Ensembles page to learn more about each orchestra and decide which orchestra might be the best fit for you. AYPO's intention is to place students in the most advanced and appropriate orchestra for their musical growth. All applicants may be invited to join any orchestra up to the orchestra for which they audition.
Audition Requirements: For this year's AYPO auditions, all students will need to prepare the following:
1) A solo piece. This should be a piece that the applicant feels represents their highest level of playing. It should be 2-5 minutes long and may be a portion of a larger work. Please bring two copies of your music, one for you and one for the judges, with the prepared measures marked. Judges may start and stop the applicant during the audition. (Percussionists should select a 2 or 4 mallet marimba solo.)
2) Orchestral excerpts. The excerpts can be found here. Please prepare the excerpts associated with the orchestra for which you would like to be considered.
Additionally, all musicians should be prepared for sight reading at the judges' discretion.
Weekend 1 (June 10-12, 2016)
- Strings auditioning for AYDO, AYSE and AYCO (new and returning musicians)
Weekend 2 (June 17-19, 2016)
- Strings auditioning for AYSO and AYP (new and returning musicians)
All auditions will be held at George Mason University. Specific audition times will be emailed to applicants approximately two weeks prior to the audition. In the event of a specific, unavoidable conflict with the audition schedule, contact the AYPO office; permission may be granted on a case by case basis to submit an audition by video recording.
How To Apply:
Musicians should submit the online application (available here) and non-refundable application fee of $45 by the application deadline of May 15.
Musicians accepted into AYSO or AYP will be eligible for the Chamber Ensemble Program. This is a very selective program for highly committed musicians. Those who are interested should identify themselves on the application and submit a video, via a YouTube link, of a 3-5 minute performance showing their technique and musicality by Friday, June 10 to email@example.com. Tuition for the Chamber Ensemble Program will be $250 for the 2016-2017 season.
If you have questions, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org for additional information.
* Harpists will be accepted into the program as members of AYPO as a whole rather than as members of a specific orchestra and will be considered 'Symphonic Harpists'. These musicians may be asked to play with AYCO, AYSO, and AYP over the course of the season as schedules and the repertoire of the season demand. In addition, AYPO is proud to introduce our new Harp Ensemble. All Symphonic Harpists will partake in the harp ensemble. Those harpists who are not yet ready to apply as a Symphonic Harpist may audition for the Harp Ensemble by itself (application can be found here). More information on the Harp Ensemble can be found here. Tuition for harpists will be $1,000 for the 2016-2017 season.
** Pianists will be accepted into the program as members of AYPO as a whole rather than as members of a specific orchestra. These musicians may be asked to play with multiple orchestras over the course of the season as schedules and the repertoire of the season demand. In addition, these musicians are eligible to be considered for the Chamber Ensemble Program and, if accepted, will be invited to participate at no additional charge. Tuition for pianists will be $750 for the 2016-2017 season.